1. The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is a law that sets out a process for developing and enforcing accessibility standards for people with disabilities.
2. Accessibility standards are laws that govern businesses, non-profits and public sector organizations to become more accessible.
3. St. Leonard’s Place Peel are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination and harassment, in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity, and are able to contribute fully and have equal opportunities.
4. The right to freedom from discrimination and harassment extends to all employees including full time, part time, temporary or contract staff.
5. This policy applies at every level of organisation and to every aspect of the workplace environment and employment relationship.
6. Employees shall, at the earliest opportunity, advise the company of any change in their circumstances that may require the company to consider or take account of an employee’s needs connected to or related to their disability.
7. St. Leonard’s Place Peel may, where it considers it necessary or appropriate, seek professional guidance, including medical advice, in undertaking and fulfilling its obligations under this policy.
Hiring, Recruitment and Promotion
8. St. Leonard’s Place Peel shall notify its employees and job applicants about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes.
9. If a selected applicant or employee requests an accommodation, St. Leonard’s Place Peel shall consult with the applicant and arrange for the provision of suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to their disability.
Support for Employees
10. Where an employee with a disability requests it, St. Leonard’s Place Peel will consult with the employee about the provision of accessible formats and communication supports that may be needed in order for the employee to perform their job.
11. St. Leonard’s Place Peel shall develop and have in place a written process for the development of documented individual accommodation plan for employees with disabilities.
12. St. Leonard’s Place Peel uses performance management in respect of its employees and shall take into account the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities, when using its performance management process in respect of employees with disabilities.
Return to Work
13. Where an employee has been absent from work due to ill health or sickness that is related to or connected with their disability, St. Leonard’s Place Peel shall develop and have in place a return to work process.
14. Such a process shall be documented and shall identify the steps that St. Leonard’s Place Peel shall take to facilitate the return to work of employees who were absent because of their disability.
15. Such a process shall include a documented individual accommodation plan and a Return to Work Interview.
16. St. Leonard’s Place Peel will periodically review this policy; carrying out any necessary amendments in the light of changes in legislation or improving good practice and supervising its implementation.